DIABETES – BEAT IT
We all need some blood sugar in our body to sustain, however, when our sugar level is too high it can cause damage to the body over time.
When the body is unable to produce enough insulin to manage high blood sugar levels, it is known as Type 2 Diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is mainly due to high blood sugar which can develop from being overweight and if not managed, can lead to a number of complications such as heart attack, stroke, kidney diseases and/or issues with eyesight.
Let’s look at some ways to manage our blood sugar better
- A low to moderate carbohydrate intake can help with managing blood sugar spikes and also support weight loss. Where possible avoid refined/processed carbs (white bread, plain biscuits, cakes, pastries, etc.) as these can elevate the risk of type 2 diabetes along with weight gain.
- Sugar consists of empty calories and causes a rapid blood sugar spike, watch your sugar intake closely.
- Adding fiber to your diet helps to slow down the absorption of glucose which then releases sugar slowly into the blood and not as a sharp spike. Fiber also tends to make you feel full for long.
- Being overweight reduces your body’s ability to control blood sugar levels, sustainable weight loss is known to assist in improving your blood sugar controls.
- Being active is an ideal way to control blood sugar levels, any exercise is beneficial as it can aid weight loss and help manage your blood sugar levels better.
Making some small dietary and lifestyle changes can help most people with managing their blood sugar levels better, these changes also provide added benefits to your overall health too.
Above all, it is very important to know that if you have any medical conditions or are currently on any medication you must consult with your health professional before making any changes.
Till next time EAT RIGHT, BE HEALTHY
NOTE: This article is a general guideline only, it is always important you seek expert guidance from a health professional to manage your individual requirement.